Sunday, February 2, 2014

Farmers Market Haul 2/1/14

Every Saturday, I venture to the Cedar Park Farmers Market.  If I can't make it on Saturday, I go to the Mueller Farmers Market in Austin.  Here I purchase all my produce, meat, eggs, and bread for the week.  This has been very cost effective for me since I am buying everything in season, which keeps costs down.  I will be sharing weekly farmers market haul posts to show what kinds of things are in season, unique items I may find, and special treats I have decided to try.

This week's purchases include:

1.  Spicy salad mix from Bernhardt’s Fruit & Veggie Farm
2.  Ground beef from Winter's Family Beef
3.  Pork Cutlets from Country Side Farm
4.  Eggs from Smith & Smith Farms
5.  Cilantro, spinach, and broccoli from Two Happy Children Farms
6.  Tomatoes and a European cucumber from Flint Rock Farms
7.  Rye Bread (not pictured) from Sweetish Hill



I still had some chicken breasts in the freezer as well as some swiss chard, avocados, and a spaghetti squash in the fridge.  Since Sunday was the Superbowl, this food will last until the following Saturday, and I feed a family of four.  

I follow up my farmers market visit with a trip to the bulk section of my local grocery store.  I will write another post specifically about the bulk section but I purchase items such as grains, granola, dried fruit, peanut butter, and spices.  I am really trying to stay out of the grocery store as much as possible, but the bulk section is a great exception since I can find both local AND organic items.  

Is anyone else shopping at the farmers market?  Feel free to share your finds with me!  

2 comments:

  1. Glad to have found your blog through JBG instagram! We too are working on spending more of our money at the farmers market and frequent the CP market every saturday. Love to see what you are cooking! Sometimes I get a little intimidated by the produce available so I will be looking forward to seeing what you concoct in your kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Amanda! I am there every Saturday as well so if you see me say hello :) Feel free to msg me if you have any questions! Take care ~Amanda G

    ReplyDelete