Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cauliflower Rice

As the weather gets warmer here in Texas, the lighter my meals become.  If you are like me, I have a hard time saying no to carbohydrates unless I can find something just as satisfying to replace them with.  I normally have a large bag of basmati rice from Costco in my pantry, waiting to be cooked and served with a multitude of meals.  To lighten up a bit, I have turned to cauliflower rice.  And trust me, it is just as satisfying.  

Cauliflower is a big hit at the farmers market these days and there are plenty of ways to cook it.  Not only does it come in the white variety, but there is also orange and purple cauliflower.  Romanesco cauliflower is green and pointy, like in the photo below.  All varieties are similar in flavor and can be roasted, mashed, or turned into "rice."  This is sure to be a big hit with vegetarians and vegans and it is Paleo friendly.  

Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower, or a combination of different varieties (enough for 4-6 servings)
2 TBS oil of choice
1 medium onion-chopped
2 cloves of garlic-chopped
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Break the cauliflower into smaller pieces
Pulse them in the food processor until it looks like rice 
Heat a pan on medium-high heat, add the oil, garlic, and onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes
Add the cauliflower and cook for 3 minutes more
Serve as a side dish in place of rice


No comments:

Post a Comment