Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Easy Pickled Watermelon Radish

I recently purchased a bag of roasting vegetables from Johnson's Backyard at the farmers market.  It included some carrots, black radishes, parsnips, and what I thought was a turnip.  As soon as I cut into it, I saw the beautiful, bright pink flesh.  It was a watermelon radish!  I immediately knew I wanted to pickle them.  

Fair warning:  radishes are rich in sulfur, so don't be alarmed when you go to eat your delicious pickled radishes and you notice a pungent odor.  However off-putting the smell may be, they will taste delicious, I promise.  Pickled radishes are a great addition to sandwiches, salads, or to simply snack on. 

I went with a simple vinegar brine for these watermelon radishes.  They will be ready in about an hour but I think it is best to leave them in the refrigerator overnight.  

Ingredients: 

1 medium-large watermelon radish cut into half moons (any type of radish will work)
1 cup of vinegar (white, apple cider, white balsamic, etc.) 
1/4 cup of sugar
1 T salt
1 mason jar, canning jar, or old pickle jar with lid

Directions:  

Heat the vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt have dissolved  
Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes
Add the sliced radish into your jar and fill with the vinegar mixture until just covered  
Seal tightly with the lid
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but overnight would be best

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment