Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Red Coconut Curry

I am always in search of easy, one pot dinners.  Lots of flavor, but less cleanup.  One pot wonders, as I like to call them, can feed a crowd but not leave your wallet empty.  It's that happy balance if you ask me.  Soups, stews, and....curry.  There is nothing more satisfying than the warmth and spice of red curry, especially in the winter.  It is bursting with flavor, but not overwhelming with heat.  

I love making red coconut curry.  It's easy, inexpensive, and you can certainly wow some guests if you make it for a dinner party.  I made this for dinner just the other night and it took me less than an hour to make from start to finish.  The dish can also be made vegetarian by not adding the shrimp, which I included in this recipe.  

I had some random vegetables in the fridge from my trip to the Cedar Park Farmers Market including mushrooms, bok choy, and pea shoots.   Pea shoots are the greens attached to peas, which grow above the soil.  They can be eaten raw in a salad or cooked like any other green.  I try to incorporate as many greens as I can in my recipes, and this dish is no exception.  I also added some red bell peppers and onions, which I always have on hand.  Any kind of meat can be used but I think shrimp is extra tasty with the red curry and coconut milk.  

Ingredients:
1 bell pepper (any color) sliced or chopped into bite size pieces
1 onion sliced or chopped into bite size pieces
6 mushrooms stems removed and sliced
1 bunch of bok choy sliced, both white and green parts
1 bunch of pea shoots (or another favorite green)-optional
1 lb raw shrimp
2 tsp grated or fresh ginger
2 TBS coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
2 heaping TBS of red curry paste (I like Thai Kitchen brand found in the international aisle of your supermarket)
1/2 can of full fat coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen Organic)
Basmati rice-cooked according to directions

Directions:
Prep your vegetables and set aside.  Shell and devein your shrimp and set aside
On medium high heat, add the oil to a hot, large skillet or wok
Add the peppers, onions and mushrooms and cook for 3-5 min
Add the bok choy and cook for an additional 2-3 min
Add the vegetable broth, red curry paste, coconut milk, and ginger and cook until bubbling and hot
Finally, add the shrimp and pea shoots (if using) and cook until shrimp turns pink, about 3-5 min 
Serve with a side of rice such as basmati.  The rice will soak up the curry broth.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment