Monday, February 3, 2014

Thai Style Chicken Wings

Happy Monday everyone!  If you are a Broncos fan, I am so sorry for your loss at the Superbowl.  My husband and father-in-law are die hard Broncos fans and I can't say that it was a memorable event last night.  There was a ton of good food, however, so that always makes me happy. 

I can't think of a better snack for the Superbowl than chicken wings.  My husband and I wanted to do something different than your usual buffalo style chicken wing so we started scouring the internet for some unique recipes.  My husband manages to find awesome recipes for me to try so I have to credit him for finding this one.  I have an awesome new blog to read as well! 

This recipe is full of spicy sweet flavor with a touch of peanut butter, giving it that Thai influence.  It was also easy to make and could be made ahead of time.  I prepared the marinade first and let the chicken wings soak it up for at least 7 hours.  If you don't have that much time, 1-2 hours would work as well and you could let it sit as long as 24 hours for even more flavorful wings.  I made the chili peanut sauce when I made the marinade and kept it in the refrigerator until I was ready to use it. 

Thai Style Chicken Wings

Yield:  12 wings but recipe can easily be doubled

Ingredients:

4 T peanut oil (you can substitute olive oil but peanut gives it great flavor)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 T soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t fresh ginger, minced (ginger from the spice section will work also)
12 chicken wings (I used whole wings, not cut at the joint from Smith & Smith Farms)
1/4 cup chili and garlic sauce (I used Huy Fong brand)
3 T peanut butter
1 T Sriracha (or more if you're spicy like that!)

Directions:  In a large bowl with a lid, combine 3 T of the peanut oil, rice vinegar, 1 T of the soy sauce, garlic and ginger.  Add the wings, toss to coat and marinade for as long as you wish.  The longer the better. 

In the meantime, prepare your sauce.  Combine the chili and garlic sauce, peanut butter, sriracha, and the remaining soy sauce and peanut oil.  The mixture will be pretty thick, but I promise it will be delicious!  Store this in the refrigerator until ready to use. 

When the chicken is done marinating, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or coat with non-stick cooking spray.  Arrange the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and cook for 30 min.  Once the chicken is done cooking, generously apply the chili garlic sauce with a basting brush to completely coat the chicken wing.  Turn on your broiler, and finish cooking for approx 3 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and starting to brown. 

I suggest garnishing with cilantro and sesame seeds.  This is sure to be a crowd pleaser!



Who else had or attended a Superbowl party and made some yummy treats?  Feel free to comment and share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment